Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I just pretend to be rich

Mong Kok kicked ass today! We started off our day by having lunch at Pizza Hut. I feel justified in going to a western restaurant because I haven't eaten ANYTHING western since I came here. I'm glad we went though, because it was crazy fancy! As you can see in the picture, the restaurant had linen table cloths, fancy plates and so on. And it didn't just serve pizza - included on the menu was pasta, creme brulee, and even lobster! However, the upper classness of it all did mean that that meal was more expensive. Instead of costing me like, $5CAD, it cost me $10. :D

After lunch we went to the market. I'm so glad I went again, because I got to bargain a lot more today and I had so much fun. I feel kind of guilty about it though, because it's already so cheap for me, and I'm trying to take away these people's way of living.

But my conscience got shunted to the back of my mind and I set to shopping with gusto. I bought (all prices HKD):

  • A cell phone chain (some random accessory for cell phones that's really popular here - Asking price $20, Mau pays $4.50
  • A hiking backpack (seems to be reasonably well made) - Asking price, $300, Mau pays: $180
  • A bamboo purse thing (impractical but pretty) - Asking price, $160, Mau pays: $100 (should have bargained more I think)
  • And finally, the crowning piece of my collection! A fake Dior handbag! It was crazy trying to get it though. Emily was talking to some young girls our age and suddenly turned to me and told me, "These guys want me to go up to some back room but I'm too scared to go by myself" so I offered to go with her. We left Alexa downstairs and told her that if we didn't return in half an hour, to call the army or something. We had to walk down this back alley, into an apartment building, go up to the 22nd floor and entire a locked apartment. There was a curtain right behind the apartment door, so you couldn't seen inside. However, just beyond the curtain, instead of apartment furniture, there was shelves and shelves of cheap designer knockoffs! I ended up buying this purse. I don't know much about designer handbags, but Emily assured me that it was a good deal... I just looked up the price right now and holy crap! Asking price: $280, Mau pays $190.


By this time, all of us are poor (Emily paid $880 for 4 ripoff Louis Vuitton wallets), so we decided to head back towards the university and made a side trip to Ikea.

I actually spent less than $100CAD today. Life is good.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check it out...

With compliments....

11:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home