Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Flightplan was a plane crash.

Time keeps flowing, and the fun never ends. On Sunday I went out with Bernard and some of his friends to go to Lan Kwai Fong for a Rio Carnival.

First off though, we went to see a movie/documentary thingie at the HK Space Museum. It was being played on one of those giant dome movie screens, meaning you had to recline in your seat and stare at the ceiling. The movie was about Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa. It was pretty cool. I think I chose the wrong location to go on exchange. (Ouch! A return ticket from Hong Kong to Kilimanjaro is $3500CAD.)

After the movie, we moseyed on over to the Gateway mall and wandered around there while waiting for Bernard's friend Minnie to join us. We didn't want to shop (well, I didn't, and they didn't run into any stores) so we just kept doing laps around the mall. They kept following me even though I didn't know where the hell I was going! LOL, when we had passed the same store for the third time, I finally directed us down a set of escalators. So passed the time till dinner.

We had dinner at an Indian restaurant in "Little India." The amusing part of this is that "Little India" is located in an area someone warned me against going into, because it's apparently also a place for drugs. I think the person who warned me against that was being a little naive and prejudiced against the population there though.

I was a bit concerned when entering the building (it's called the Chunking Mansion). Normally when I'm walking around Tsim Sha Tsui, I'm always getting harassed by the Indians to buy things and the like. Well, inside the front of the building was a small hoard of them. But this time, it wasn't me getting attacked. Minnie, Philip and I were busy talking, and suddenly I see a disturbance up ahead of us... There were like 5 Indian guys shoving flyers at Bernard, who was hunched over and running away. The sight made me think of a feeding frenzy. A police officer actually had to yell at them and drive them away. That was crazy.

Dinner was tasty. Don't know what more I can report on that.

We finally made it over to Lan Kwai Fong and got to see everyone doing the LKF thing - drinking alcohol. There were a gazillion small booths set up, selling food and other random things, but it wasn't terribly exciting otherwise. We made Bernard and Philip get their photos taken at one of the Samba dancer outfit thingies. See the picture of Philip to get the idea. :) Bernard kept laughing and pulling his head out of the hole, so I didn't get a good pic of him. :P

We ended up walking into a random bar (it specialized in tequila) and bought some drinks. It was fun just chatting with people who weren't exchange students (well, Minnie kinda is an exchange student, but isn't at the same time. Long story.)

More Rio photos can be found here.

The next day, I had made plans to go out with Renee and use up the free movie ticket I had received for a Korean movie. Well, we didn't realize just how far of a trip it was to the movie theater... It took us over an hour to get there on the MTR! Gah. Sadly, the theater was full by the time we got there, so we couldn't get into that movie. Our free tickets got extended though, so we're going to try to see the movie on Thursday instead.

Renee really wanted to watch a movie anyways, so we bought tickets for Flight Plan. Oh dear god. Words cannot express what a piece of crap that movie was. I haven't seen such a bad movie in yeeears. The premise was horrible, the dialog atrocious, and the acting made me want to weep. The most enjoyable thing about the movie was the popcorn we bought before going into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home