Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Another snack party, another gorging


I'm going to explode. These snack parties are going to be the death of me - everytime I go, I eat more than I knew my stomach could ever hold. I feel like dying right now. And each time there's a party, the amount of food seems to increase exponentially.

The party itself was a blast. Lots of people showed up - I got to meet some people from Singapore. They were an ego boost because they fell head over heels for the chocolate coconut drops I made. (Thanks mom for the recipe!) They actually grabbed my phone number so they could obtain the recipe. Ha ha. Rock on.

The food was awesome but also very strange. I have to admit, that while I'm completely cool with trying different types of food (meal-wise), I have a harder time trying out actual snack foods - I just can't pick up some things and think, "Mmm, I feel like something to munch on - hand me some of that dried eel!" (The eel skin is actually mine - Jen gave it to me as a gift from her trip to Canton. And come to think of it, I actually haven't eaten any of it yet. Whoops.

Other weird foods of the evening included a Finnish fish sauce for bread - it was like a sweet mustard with bits of cooked fish floating around in it. I really liked the taste, but the whole fish thing threw me off - all my cultural condition could not be overcome, and that makes me sad. Let's see, there was also lots of beancurd snacks (a fave of Taiwan it seems) - I like the beancurd stuff, but once again, it's just a bit strange to think of it as a snack. There were also a few Belgium goodies such as duck liver on crackers - very tasty.

So this is me, saying goodnight now. Toodles!



Pics from the party are here.

P.S.
Mom? Dad? I need hands on cooking lessons on how to make beef stew. My attempt to make some tonight turned out like crap!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come home and I will show you how to make beef stew!!!!!

7:07 AM

 
Blogger Jill said...

That's such a nice picture of you! :)

11:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Lama!!! I have to agree with Jill, awesome pic of you. I seriously have to move to Hong Kong. With all those hills and snack foods (eel skin???) I would be skinny in no time!! LOL

12:05 PM

 
Blogger Maureen said...

Thanks y'all!

5:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home