Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Funny things I saw today

*** EDIT: I just remembered the other funny things I saw! At the one Mei Foo store, we saw some "Animal Colon"! That's got to be one the funniest typos I have EVER seen. LOL, it was supposed to be "Animal Cologne" - it was just some cologne in a bottle that had a small animal on top of each scent. Hee.

The second thing I found amusing was the cover of my pirated DVD of "Anna and the King" - I dunno where the chinese people get these thing, but the covers look so authentic, but have so many mistakes... Sometimes the back's will list the wrong actors, have a gazillions typos or the like. In the case of this DVD cover, there's a small review quote at the bottom of the page. "A gorgeously filmed studyof homosexuallust" - I doubt that the Seattle Times would allow those typos (yes, studyof was without a space).

I had a great day today. Saw many new and many fun things.

I went for dim sum for breakfast/lunch today with a bunch of European girls. Amusingly we happened to go to the same restaurant that "Uncle Richard" took me to before... I didn't recognize it until I got to the second floor though. It was a good time - one of the girls was from Italy and didn't know much about eating chinese food even though she had lived and travelled around China the year before. (How can you not know to rinse off your plates/bowls, or to flip your chopsticks around to cut communal food???)

After lunch, Limin, Ida, and I decided to go explore Hong Kong. We randomly went to Mei Foo station and walked around the surrounding area. It wasn't terribly exciting - it was pouring rain. We amused ourselves though by wandering around a couple of malls.

Because Mei Foo was boring, we hopped back on the subway and went to Sham Shui Po to wander around there. (None of us had been there before.) Turns out SSP has a flea market and huge fashion area. The flea market seemed to consist of a bunch of stalls selling random electronics and cables.... And that was it. I can't really EVER envision myself thinking, "Gee, I feel like buying some cables for my VCR. I think I'll go to Sham Shui Po and walk along 60 stalls to bargain for the best ones!" Welcome to Hong Kong folks.

We found a huuuuge shopping mall called The Dragon Centre. It was neat, but we were so tired by now... Mainly from the weather I guess. We wandered around, but didn't buy anything. After we left the mall, Ida went to meet her friends, and Limin and I tried to find the subway, but ended up going to the wrong one so we had to turn around. (Long story, but don't worry, it's not important.)

So now I'm at home and am in the midst of a movie fest.

As for the funny things I mentioned, the first one was at Mei Foo. I saw a guy standing in a telephone booth... But he was using his cell phone. I realize it was just because he was hiding out from the rain, but the sight was so ironic, I couldn't help but laugh.

Damn. I can't remember what the second thing I wanted to point out was.

The last funny thing I saw today was my tear streaked face. I just finished bawling like a baby! Why is that funny? Because it proves what a wuss I really am. I watched the movie, "The Notebook" and cried and cried at the end. It was so damned sweet!

That's all for now I guess. I'm gonna watch another (much more lighthearted) movie now. Toodles!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again!!

Sham Shui Po! Dont you remember you and me being there?? Looking for my Dojo:) Apliu St Market, a lot of watches...me like...

1:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED that movie!!!! I bawled like a baby too....BIG SURPRISE huh??? LOL It was such a good cry that I bought it. I could never imagine not buying anything on outing of shopping. I must try that sometime... ;)

9:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Mau,
I have checked out this fancy 'blog thing' of yours a couple times since you departed Canada-land, and I must say I am very impressed and incredibly jealous. It sounds fantastic. So, you can see how it would be difficult for me to read through your fabulous [mis]adventures while I am stuck in dreary toronto, sitting at my computer procrastinating on a 30 research essay. So, please, for my sake--stop having so much fun.
Oh, and I came across your entry about teaching kids English--I laughed, I cried, I sympathized. All I can say is that there is going to be a whole generation of kids that don't know how to conjugate "to sit" in english, but they can do 'head and shoulders' in their sleep. Love it! (because of me, there are a couple of kids in Nepal who know the wrong words to "the wheels on the bus.." and sing the "hokey-pokey" to the wrong tune-- But what do they expect from a second-grade dropout?!) Ok, well, I hope you continue to enjoy your time there and hopefully we can somehow catch up at some point. I have to stop now, or I am going to write my own blog in your wee lil' comments box. Cheers!

3:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home