Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Squishy food

At the risk of disappointing people by not updating until something exciting happens, I shall post an entry with more random rambles.

Peggy and I have been doing a daily language exchange - she teaches me a couple of mandarin words, and I teach her an English expression. It's been pretty fun, because you never know what you'll learn each day. She's been teaching me useful words like "to rain, salty, sour, wash face, brush teeth, etc." And thus far she's learned expressions like "Gung ho, It's just not cutting it, Get off your high horse," and so on. I can't believe how hard it is to explain some of these expressions. And I'm super happy about the words she's been teaching me. It's frustrating to know there's so many useful words out there that I don't know.

Today's words will be "SAVE ME!" (I realized that if I was being attached in China, I wouldn't be able to scream for help. The best I would be able to do is yell out and inform people that I'm dying. "Wo si, wo si!" (I die, I die!) Hee. We shall see what other words I get to learn in the future.

I also got to try Korean BBQ finally. It's pretty much the same as a Hong Kong BBQ (remember, the campfire thing I mentioned before?) but this time it's indoors and the "fire" is a grill in the middle of your table. So you get to go up to a big buffet table thing, grab a plate full of raw meat/veggies/other goodies, take it back to your grill and grill it yourself. (Even though there's an amazing variety of meats, mom wouldn't be able to eat it - you don't know how long it's been sitting out. :)) Once again I'm amused by paying to cook my own food. The only benefits are the variety of foods and the all you can eat deal. I got to try ox tongue and baby octopus while I was there. The tongue was boring and kinda tough. And the baby octopus's head went squish when I bit into it. Hee.

That's been as exciting as it's gotten here for the past week or so. I seem to have gained a reputation for being a movie connoisseur too - my pal Jen phoned me because she and her boyfriend wanted to see a movie but couldn't decide which, so she asked me to describe them to her and make a recommendation. I still don't know if they took my advice or not though.

I also signed up for the IASP Farewell party. It's crazy to think that we're getting near the end of the term! Everyone's making travel plans (I'm going to Shanghai for Easter) and planning their returns home. (I really ought to buy my ticket soon - it's crazy the price differences between here and Canada - tickets are so much cheaper here!) This farewell party is also making me sad and nostalgic. I miss my friends from last term a lot - it just won't be the same without them. Oh well. I shall see them sometime - don't know when or where, but I'm positive it will happen.

This is Mau, signing off!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ni hao!!

Farewell party already?? It was pretty early last semester too, but it is true that most of the people left short after that party! So sad. Take care,miss ya!

zaijian!

6:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me - why was I always so concerned about making sure you had a cooler and ice packs when bringing your frozen meals to you in Waterloo. From now on, screw you hippie!!!! You are getting your food in garbage bags which can sit in the heat for days before taking it to you. Bye for now.

11:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home