Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Broken fears, shirts, and sleeping schedules

Last night was Halloween here in HK. It's not a big thing here in this city. Most stores didn't do a single thing for Halloween. Some did put up a few decorations, or would wear devil horns/witch hats, but that's it.

My plans for Halloween were to go to Ocean Park, HK's amusement park. The original plan was to go with Pei-chin, Wen Li, Bernard and Minnie, but upon arrival to the park, we ran into another group of CUHK students, so we hung out with them too.

Photos (taken by Minnie) can be found here!

First off, you know how it's a common thought that if you pay a lot for food, it must be very good? Does the same apply to McDonald's? LOL. You couldn't buy combos at the Ocean Park McDonald's, so I bought a chicken burger, chicken nuggets, and a large drink. (The nuggets were cheaper than french fries.) The bloody thing cost me $47HKD... A normal value meal here costs $23.50. Gah!

Ocean Park was so much fun! It was completely revamped for Halloween! The worker's costumes were so cool. They all had amazing makeup. The best part was that they remained in character no matter what. Even if you were getting a photo taken with them, they would try to scare you unexpectedly. I saw "Dracula" scare the hell outta some chinese girls. I was also amused to see a "tribal man" chasing one visitor around with his spear. Very fun.

The most amusing costumes I saw all night though belonged to these guys! I first saw them from the bus as we were pulling into the park, but lost them upon unboarding. I just thought it was so funny to see people dressing up at Natives here... I got Minnie to ask them in Cantonese if I could get a photo taken with them. Hee. Thanks for letting me take a picture!

Anyways, for those of you who don't know... Before last night, I hadn't been into a Haunted House for like, 10 years, if not more. I was slightly traumatized by one when I was little (I just remember seeing a mummy then running away crying). After that, I avoided them like the plague. Well, I signed up for the Ocean Park Halloween Bash before realizing there were haunted houses involved. Damnit!

I'm proud to say that I'm officially over my Haunted House phobia. :P The haunted houses were so good here! Each had a different theme - The Freakshow (medical theme), The Asylum (fun house/clown theme), The Legend of the Peking Opera House (spirit/opera house theme), Fright Factory (construction site theme), Tribal Revenge (jungle theme). I think my faves were the Freakshow, Asylum, and Fright Factory. Now as mentioned, I don't have a lot of experience with Haunted Houses, but I think the ones at Ocean Park put on a good show man.

One of the guys in our group, Wocky from Japan, got to be the unwilling leader in each house. The poor guy was more frightened than the rest of us. LOL. I remember in the second house, he actually fell down and cowered when one worker jumped out at us and "attacked" us. LOL. I know they got a few screams outta me. (Especially one worker who unexpectedly jumped out of a fake wall - he was attached to an elastic harness and immediately got snapped back into the wall. Very cool man.

Amusing anecdote: We went to see a dolphin/seal show. It was the regular show they have everyday, but they played halloween themed music throughout it. I was amused to listen to all the Rocky Horror Picture Show songs, Monster Mash, then have some Avril Lavigne close the show...

We all grabbed a bus back to Mong Kok, but from there, things went sour. We couldn't find the mini-bus that would take us back to CUHK. People kept giving us directions, even though they didn't know where the hell the buses were! We literally (no word of a lie) passed the same store at least 3 times. I was amused by it, but some of the others were so exhausted (it was like 1:30am) it wasn't funny for them anymore. :) But luckily we managed to find it finally.

It's time to leave my computer and get ready to meet Wen Li for lunch. To the shower!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ocean Park ROCKS!!! I so want to go...lol. Why do we love to be scared sh@#%tless so much?? Love the Natives. I wondered what injuns looked like!

2:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo mama
u look so cool in the pictures
and ur diary reminds me of everything
guess i don't need to write another one...instead i should just post ur link in msn space :p

minnie

10:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home