Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Farewell to everyone and everything

Sad times abound. Today I've had to say goodbye to another 4 people. This time, my adieus went out to Kim, Jenny, Emily and Renee. It's been a pleasure girls! You've been some of my closest friends during my time here. We'll definitely see each other again. It's weird though, I still feel like I'll be able to give 'em a call next week. I guess it still hasn't sunk in yet that I'll never see them again here in Hong Kong.

First an update: My pictures from Disneyland were unsalvagable, so here's Peggy's and Renee's photos instead. Also, here are some other of my fave photos:


What else is new... There's been a few things I've wanted to blog about, but of course I forget.

Oh, well I guess the main thing was that I've been to Mong Kok again. Yup. On Friday night, Jen and I ventured out into the teeming masses so she could do some last minute x-mas shopping. We didn't actually buy what she wanted or needed, but shopping was done.

My big purchase was to buy a new digital camera. I love Hong Kong and it's swank cheap prices. I bought a Canon PowerShot A620. I'm pretty psyched because I bought it for $2980HKD which is $450CAD. It's $100 cheaper than at Futureshop regular prices, plus I got a free case, mini tripod, and 512SD memory card. Woot. It works like a dream so far, and I've only tried to drop it once since buying it.

My other purchases of the evening included a souvenir t-shirt. I've been wanting one since I first saw them. They've got a map of Hong Kong and say in large letters, "I am lost in Hong Kong." It describes me pretty aptly.

My other purchase was a small case of chinese fortune telling prayer stick thingies. These are things you traditionally find in temples. You shake a cylinder of sticks until one falls out, you find out which number is on the fallen stick then go get your fortune told. Anyways, Jen made a big deal out of finding them, so I think the lady jerked the price up by another $50HKD. Luckily, Mau with her massacred cantonese came to the rescue. I managed to get us a 50% bargain on the sticks. I'm impressed the lady could understand my cantonese/mandarin stutterings. "We're students! We don't have money!" "We go to the Chinese University of Hong Kong" "Oh, I don't have that extra $5!" (Okay, the last was more like, "I don't have 5... uh, 5..." - the lady supplied the rest.) The chicks at the stall loved me though. They were practically hugging me with happiness over my attempts to speak cantonese.

The next day was uneventful, I pretty much cloistered myself in an attempt to start my history essay that was due before I leave for Thailand. I failed at making any progress on it, but I did manage to reread several webcomics I'm into and download various chinese movies. Peggy and I ended up watching "Must Love Dogs" with chinese subtitles... Great movie! Loved it!

This morning I had to get up early to go to out with Kim, Jenny, and Emily. It was Kim's belated b-day get together, so we went pink dolphin watching. And I have to say, those dolphins were really pink. Pictures from the day can be found here.

A mere half hour into our foray on the water though, we suddenly heard a siren. We look over and there's a police boat flagging us down. Of course, the first thought that goes through my mind is, "Do I have photocopies of my passport on me?" (Yes, I always carry them around, but I automatically check sometimes to make sure.) Anyways, turns out that because of the WTO demonstrations going on, the airport's water restriction area (we were near the airport) had been extended and we were driving through it. Whoops.

I guess that's all I have to say for now. I'm leaving for Thailand tomorrow at 3pm in the afternoon. Therefore this will be your last time to hear from me for a week and a half. I won't be back in Hong Kong until December 22. I'm pretty psyched. Pictures will be posted upon my return.

Take care y'all!
Mau

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After looking at pic's I would say that you were smoking up before looking at dolphins. Or your camera has issues with pink - NOT THERE.

Love the pictures of mountains acroos the water, wish I was there!

1:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home