Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

All about food

This will be a short post, but it's all about food.

Yesterday I went to the mall with Limin. While we were wasting time waiting for Peggy, we went to the grocery store. You know how people will randomly decide they don't need something they had already put in their cart and will place said item on the shelf? Well I'll admit I'm guilty of it too - but I've never put a whole chicken on the shelf before. It amused me so much I decided to take a picture of it.

However, just as I was putting my camera away, a store employee came by and saw what Limin and I were laughing at. He then picked up the chicken and left. Limin and I decided to follow him to see what he'd do with it... And of course he put it right back into the meat area. He didn't even know how long it had been out on the shelf. Sheesh. Oh well, at least Park N Shop is airconditioned - I've seen people buying meat that has been on the side of the street for the entire day with flies crawling over it.

Limin and I met Peggy for lunch at the McDonald's. McDonald's here has recently introduced something known as the "Chicken/Beef Fantastic." It's a hamburger, but instead of a bunch, it's squished between two deep fried rice patties or something. I tried a bite, but it was kinda bleh. (Apparently this rice burger thingie has been available in Taiwan for at least a year.)

Anyways, the thing about this new product that amuses me so much is the advertising for it. It's marketed as being "Chicken fantastic" - BUT if you look at the word fantastic, there's an accent above the A. Therefore if you know how to read chinese pinyin (romanization), it says that it's "rice-tastic" The Chinese side of the package is a little more obvious because it has the character for rice, followed by "tastic." I don't know if you'll get the humour... But I thought it was great. This is only the first time I've read a chinese ad and gotten the humour in it. :)

Finally... I manage to come up with the weirdest combinations of food here. There's some rice, a chopped up tomato, some fried/steamed "brasillica" (whatever THAT is), and a Thai BBQ porkchop. I've already planned my dinner - it's gonna be another Thai BBQ porkchop with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. (I realized I still have a jar of cranberry sauce from Christmas!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you want to eat when you get off the plane? Anything special or there is a Mother Tuckers just down the street from the airport. You can dive into the trough or do you remember Tuckers from Ottawa?

9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home