Read about all my adventures on the other side of the world (a.k.a. Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR). September 2005 to May 2005.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Thanks for the memories Hong Kong

It’s over. But it’s just begun. Yesterday was my last day in Hong Kong. But although I’m leaving, the memories I formed there will be forever by my side. Tears were shed, but they were done with happiness.

My last day was spent perfectly – with my friends. I asked a bunch of my friends to have dim sum with me for one final time. Peggy and I went ahead of the pack and wandered around Tsim Sha Tsui for awhile. Throughout our wanderings, I experienced a constant sense of déjà vu. For the past 8 months I may have walked by a certain street corner many times, but today the memories of the first passing ghosted through my mind. I remember being awed by the myriad of lights and Chinese characters. I also remember the sense of excitement and terror all mingled into one.

Lunch was held at the Zhongsan Fishing Village. This is the same restaurant “Uncle Richard” took me to during my first term in Hong Kong. Again, at one time I would be sitting there talking to my friends, but in another corner of my mind, I’d be chatting with Uncle Richard and Emily.

The dim sum was amazing – there was so much of it. I didn’t realize just how much we had ordered. Later Limin told me that we had nearly filled up the entire dim sum card with checks. There were 3 baskets of BBQ pork bun alone. We were shocked every time the waiters would come by with another stack of baskets. I nearly did die of a food induced death. My plan had been to eat so much that the airport staff would have to roll me from plane to plane. I nearly succeeded.

After lunch, I bade my friends Hong, Thahn, and Jenny farewell. We reminisced about our travels to Nanjing/Beijing. Jenny and I relived the moment where she tried to use me as a body pillow while she was sleeping. It was a fun goodbye. I forced Jenny (who’s only 4 foot something) to chase me around in order to obtain her last hug.

My Canadian friend Minnie was unable to join us for lunch because she had a paper due the next day so Peggy and our friend Julie accompanied me to Minnie’s apartment. I’d been trying to see Minnie’s house for the entire 8 months, and it took exactly that long to finally get the invitation. Without going into many details, I’ll just say this.  Hong Kong apartments are very tiny. We had chuckles and goofed around. It was relaxing, because I know that I will see Minnie again soon back in Canada. (Minnie: I still totally love the picture of your family on their citizenship day!)

Peggy, Julie and I grabbed a mini-bus to Mong Kok after we were done at Minnie’s. I figured there could be no better way to spend my final day in Hong Kong than to hang out at my favourite area. We just wandered around in a very relaxed pace. I bought a memory card for my camera and a webcam so I can continue to chat with the friends I’ve made here.

We visited some makeup stores and afterwards Ida met up with us. I grabbed my final bubble tea and waffle and we strolled down the Ladies Market for a final time.

Unfortunately by this time I was dying. You see, I’ve had a cold ever since I came back from my Shanghai trip. And although I didn’t feel too worried about going home, I know that my body knew it. The past few nights I hadn’t been sleeping well and for the past two nights especially, I’ve woken up with terribly sore shoulders. Even hanging my purse on my arm hurt. I followed Julie and Peggy to a grocery store before we headed home.

While on the shuttle back home, Peggy was trying to amuse me by reminding me, “Oh this is your last time doing this, last time doing that, etc.” And when it finally came to “Oh Maureen! It’s your last time walking to I-house!” The only reply I could think of to that one was “Thank freakin’ God.” I have to admit, the novelty of the march up and down the mountain wore off pretty early in the first term.

Back in our room, I went for my final shower (considering it would be 24+ hours till I would be able to take another one). I kept forgetting stupid things (e.g. hairdryer) and was trying to make sure I had packed everything I wanted to bring. I had to leave a lot of stuff behind… Towels, bath robe, toiletries, etc.

I did manage to remember one thing though: While in Hangzhou, China, I had bought a necklace for Peggy and I. It’s a piece of jade broken in two pieces and has something that roughly translates into “Friends Forever” written on it. I had our names carved on the back (in Chinese of course). So when I gave her her half of the necklace, that’s when things got a wee bit emotional. (I’m already suffering from a sore throat – try having a sore throat and constantly having to swallow past a lump of raw emotion.)

Limin and Ida came down to say their goodbyes too. After that, Limin, Peggy, and I dragged my luggage downstairs to the taxi. We got to chill outside while waiting, and that’s when it really began to hit me – this was the last time I would see the I-house. I could see other students chilling on their balconies and see the laundry rippling in the wind. If you can’t guess, this was another time I had to choke back the tears.

As they say, all good things must come to and end, and so did my exchange in Hong Kong. The taxi arrived and there was suddenly nothing more to do than hug Limin and Peggy goodbye. Peggy? I meant what I said. I promise we’ll see each other again!

Amusing Anecdote: I forget exactly what, but I said something to the taxi driver in Cantonese and he began yammering at me in the same language. I didn’t understand a word beyond “student/study” and kept repeating in Cantonese that my Chinese wasn’t very good, and repeating in Mandarin that I was studying mandarin. He finally gave up trying to talk in Cantonese when I stopped saying anything at all.

I’m currently sitting in the airport in Seoul, Korea waiting for my plane to arrive. Unfortunately I have about another 3 and a half hours before it arrives. I’m totally not looking forward to it. I despise plane rides – especially if no one’s there to occupy me. I think my biggest problem is heat control – I get too hot on airplanes all the time. I felt like I was being roasted alive in the one I just got off of. Oh well. At least I got my favourite position: Aisle seat. The airport is pretty quiet so far. (Which makes sense considering it’s only 6:20am.) It’s waking up slowly though. I think at 7am I’ll get up, exchange some of my HK money into Korean won and go buy some food. (FYI: Korean Air has some good chow aboard.) But I’m hungry right now.

I feel like I ought to summarize my time in Hong Kong some way. But how can I wrap 8 months, that’s 240 days of life changing experiences? I’m not going to go as far as to claim that Hong Kong is the epitome of human culture. Definitely not. There were definitely flaws and things that drove me insane. But those details aren’t important.

The thing I need to keep in mind is the lessons I’ve learned about myself and about others. I’ve encountered some of the most marvelous people here in Hong Kong – each amazing in their own single way. There of course have been those who I felt like smacking upside the head, but I shall endeavour to think of them as the food here in Hong Kong – you need to eat the meat and spit out the bones. But for the people who I kept close to me throughout the exchange, both this term and last, they were like a glimpse into a house of mirrors. You look into one mirror but a plethora of images spring forward instead. Each student offered me a glance into a new culture, a new mode of thinking, and reflected it in myself. For that, I’d like to thank each and every person I’ve met over the past 8 months. You’ve contributed and enriched my life in ways you can’t possibly imagine. Many of you have become my inspiration and incentive in what I hope to accomplish in the future.

I’ve discovered a lot about myself and although I know I won’t be able to change or embrace everything I’ve learned, the best I can do is try. And for me, that’s a lot of what this exchange was about. Trying new things, breaking out of old habits and ways of thinking. I don’t think it’s bragging to say that there have been big changes in my personality since my arrival. Whether it’s a good or bad thing, we’ll see when I return to Canada, but I would like to imagine these changes are for the better.

I believe I’ve said everything I need to say at this point. The goodbyes are done, and now it will be time for the hellos. Hello to new opportunities. Hello to new friends. Hello to a new way of seeing the world.

Remember folks, it’s not “Goodbye,” it’s “See you later.”

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww - You are making me all teary too - my little munchkin is all growed up. I can see from reading your blog that you have experienced so much that can only help to enrich your journey of life. As much as I have missed you I am so glad that you have had this opportunity. But I am MORE glad to have you back.

9:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you know how to save the contents of this blog for future perusal. I would agree with your perception that you have matured and grown as an person through this experience.

Looking back on your posts could be a thought provoking experience and an incentive to keep in touch with all the wonderful people you met.

Your depiction of the irritating people you encountered as being the bones in a delicious meat dish is too good for words.

10:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Molin!

I almost started to cry reading your post!! Sorry, I couldn't be there to help you with your luggage the way you helped me!

"Thank freakin'God" LOL!! There is no better way to put it.

See you later!!

11:02 PM

 
Blogger Jill said...

Aww...even I got teary-eyed during that. Sounds like an amazing experience - makes me want to get out of Ontario even more (see a few posts ago :P)

Have a safe flight (although I don't know if you'll see this message on time) and hopefully I'll see you some time this summer.

*hugs*
♥♥♥

10:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home